Clearing some things up!

Post #1 made on 11/11/11 @ 4:24 pm
Again, welcome to the new Squiby. I know that a lot of things don't work. Also, some features are missing!

Why are we using the new site

I've seen this asked a few times, why are we using the new site if it's not working 100%? The reason is, the old site was just as broken, and it was slow. The new site has a modern architecture that allows for the site to move quickly.

That means that not only is the site fast, but we've got the ability to quickly edit features and make the site work. I've already fixed multiple problems over the course of today in the matter of an hour, while this would have taken days with the old site code.

Why is ____ gone?!

Squiby was, at the start, meant to be a simple site. Creators given the ability to add their adoptables, and users given the ability to collect and display them.

We deviated from that adding additional features, which took from development time on the core. Also, when we added new features that interacted with the core, it added problems and made the core features glitchy.

Now that we're on the modern architecture we can easily add new features in the future that interact with the core in a safe way by being modulated and operating outside of it.

We also have intentions to possibly add an API on top of the core Squiby services so that users who have programming abilities are the ones who can write additional features.

How long until the site works?

The site should be working now. You can create new adoptables (this was just fixed!) and adopt them. You can level them, and they level far quicker than on the old site (actually they didn't level at all for months!)

I'm working on adding back things like editing your profile, editing your adoptables, etc. These should be added back in soon!

Thank you!

I just want to thank you for sticking with Squiby! I'm working very hard to get the site working back in the state that you are comfortable with, and the cash shop will not be added back to the site until we're at that point :).

here is an image showing the number of code 'pushes' that I've made in the past two days, some of them including 100+ lines of code.

OfflineNormal UserKeith
Keith

56 Posts
Post #2 made on 11/11/11 @ 4:39 pm
Yay :D
Thank you so much for this ^^ and all your hard work.
OfflineGold memberelen89
elen89

1676 Posts
Post #3 made on 11/11/11 @ 5:01 pm
Thank you! :)
I must say, it is a relief to see the site running faster. I look forward to some of the previous features being re-introduced.
OfflineNormal UserLumenave
Lumenave

2 Posts
Post #4 made on 11/11/11 @ 5:02 pm
Thanks but what about frezzing your pets? :3
OfflineNormal UserLizardd
Lizardd

26 Posts
Post #5 made on 11/11/11 @ 5:03 pm
This is great! I'm glad it's working now but, are there still a few bugs? As in I and a few others can't access my page it sends an error message. But I'm sure this will go away with time. Again Thank you :) OfflineNormal UserReinYoin
ReinYoin

2 Posts
Post #6 made on 11/11/11 @ 5:14 pm
@ The option to freeze your pets will be coming back soon.

@ I'm working on this :)
OfflineNormal UserKeith
Keith

56 Posts
Post #7 made on 11/11/11 @ 5:34 pm
I hope everything is working great soon! You are doing well on this and I am glad that we can level up our pets faster AND more than once now. I thought my pets would never grow up but already my cat Princess has! OfflineNormal UserPhantomFilly
PhantomFilly

2 Posts
Post #8 made on 11/11/11 @ 5:37 pm
What happened to the Link Exchange? OfflineNormal Userkakashigirl100
kakashigirl100

1 Posts
Post #9 made on 11/11/11 @ 5:40 pm
Posted my reply in here. :3

And happy 11-11-11, everyone. XD
OfflineAdminKasaraEm13
KasaraEm13

2247 Posts
Post #10 made on 11/11/11 @ 5:41 pm
THANK YOU! This communication means the world.

Being kept in the dark as things have been done in the past was a miserable experience. I know I've lashed out in frustration over this. I apologize.

Thanks for the hard work, the comment, and keeping the site running.
OfflineNormal UserDewclaw
Dewclaw

457 Posts
Post #11 made on 11/11/11 @ 5:46 pm
While I am glad that Squiby is being worked on and that things are starting to take shape, I do have to say that the way Squiby looks right now is kinda ugly to me. Is this the look that Squiby will have from now on? While I do find it not that appealing to look at, I do believe that it is much better to have a not so great looking site that works rather then a great looking site that doesn't work. Thanks for all your hard work Keith and I look forward to spending a lot more time on Squiby in the future. I did really love this site but my interest had really dropped when it ceased to really work.
Though I have noticed that with two part pets, where it takes two pets to make up one image, there is a space between them when they are displayed. Is that permanent? If it is then it really destroys all those previous pets and its a shame if they have to stay like that. If you want to see what I mean then look at my profile, I have numerous pets of that type in my favorites. They also don't really work with this new squished layout...again you'll see what I mean on my profile, half the pet is in one row and half the pet is in the other row.
OfflineNormal UserJackulwulf
Jackulwulf

13 Posts
Post #12 made on 11/11/11 @ 5:46 pm
Thank YOU Keith for your awesome work! At the moment I saw the Users online number working, I knew that something had happened! And then I saw that the Forum's were showing their resently replied topics...

I'm sure there is still some things to work on, but so far, you are doing grate! Thank you again from this grate site!
OfflineNormal UserWolfxZib
WolfxZib

20 Posts
Post #13 made on 11/11/11 @ 5:50 pm
~Jackulwulf
I know what you mean, I've got group pets on my page too. I was lucky and they didn't end up on different rows though.
OfflineAdminKasaraEm13
KasaraEm13

2247 Posts
Post #14 made on 11/11/11 @ 5:57 pm
Thank you for all of your hard work Keith! :D
OfflineNormal UserSapphireRhythm
SapphireRhythm

11 Posts
Post #15 made on 11/11/11 @ 6:18 pm
I've actually stopped coming on sometimes because how slow squiby was. D: but i'm super happy that you started to move things into a different site code. :3 Thanks so much Keith!

Happy veterans day and 11/11/11 everyone! x3
OfflineNormal UserRhaiyl
Rhaiyl

14 Posts
Post #16 made on 11/11/11 @ 6:26 pm
What do you mean by "adoptables will level faster?" Is there a new leveling system being put in? Because if we're still using the same system, adoptables will only level as quickly as they're clicked by others, and changing the layout doesn't necessarily mean more users are going to click things, thus leveling adoptables faster... OfflineNormal UserPeytora
Peytora

30 Posts
Post #17 made on 11/11/11 @ 6:29 pm
I think he means the page that comes up when you click on an adoptable will load faster? It was never really slow for me though, it only lagged a bit when I open 100 links at once. OfflineAdminKasaraEm13
KasaraEm13

2247 Posts
Post #18 made on 11/11/11 @ 6:51 pm
I mean that with the old coding, all of the clicks went into a queue. The queue could take up to six hours to process your clicks.

Now it'll take five minutes tops.
OfflineNormal UserKeith
Keith

56 Posts
Post #19 made on 11/11/11 @ 6:51 pm
Ahhhhh! New profile is so beautiful and symmetrical now! -tears of joy-

But I guess that means I'm still screwed for levels, though. lol
OfflineNormal UserPeytora
Peytora

30 Posts
Post #20 made on 11/11/11 @ 6:52 pm
Ah, OK, that makes more sense. Though that never really bothered me, I knew they'd level eventually. XD
OfflineAdminKasaraEm13
KasaraEm13

2247 Posts

Post a Reply

This topic is locked!

Press Esc to close